Saturday 17 August 2013

Zendaya - Replay (New Music Video)


Released yesterday, Zendaya's (from Disney's Shake it Up) music video for her first single 'Replay' has debuted on her new vevo channel and is already gathering plenty of views. The track which has a R&B feel to it, sounds quite confused to me. Let me explain. The song starts off perfectly adequately, but the seemingly unchanging tempo and sudden breaks conflict with the supposed smoothness of the song. There's one point in the song in which I have a particular problem with, after 'play you everywhere I go, everywhere I go' the track suddenly breaks (very abruptly without any sort of warning or change in pace) into the chorus 'yeah, wanna put this song on replay/ I can listen to it all day/ I can listen to you all day/ yeah you all day' and it is this that doesn't sound all too right to me.
I'm sure others will have differing opinions but it's this particular part that unsettles me slightly and I find myself struggling to get back into the song. Some may find the song very catchy, but I think that is simply because the lyrics are mind-numbingly simple. No, really. I'm not necessarily looking for some sort of lyrical spark in every single song, but to me, this feels like there isn't even a point to the song. What is she singing about? Practically every single line is almost exactly the same. There's too much repetition and not enough substance, which is disappointing considering the potential from Zendaya. Overall, the song isn't great, it's a bit lacklustre and doesn't feel like quite right (it's average at best). 

I'm not going to lie, I found the music video a bit boring. Some may call it elegant simplicity but whilst the dancing and choreography is good there is nothing else to it, unfortunately. Overall, I'd maybe focus on a more meaningful video and fire the writers of this bland and frankly bewildering piece of music. But as always, what do you make of it? Are you putting Zendaya's song on replay? 

Music video and track reviewed by Mel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment