Tuesday 27 August 2013

Haim - The Wire (Music Video)


Earlier this week, Haim (comprised of sisters Este, Danielle and Alana Haim and their drummer Dash Hutton) released their music video for their upcoming single The Wire. Indie rock band Haim's new track focuses around the end of a relationship and how things just sometimes don't work out. The addition of guitar sounds throughout add to the overall feel of the song, and the chorus in particular is pretty catchy 'Always keep your heart locked tight/ Don't let your mind retire/ Oh, but I just couldn't take it/ I tried hard not to fake it/ But I fumbled it when it came down to the wire' and I just adore the whole tone and the acoustics on this track. 



 I'm not usually in to (mostly) girl group-bands, but I really enjoy listening to a vast majority of their songs and their overall look is just brilliant; Haim have a real uniqueness and talent that other bands just don't possess. The music video for The Wire is also particularly hilarious. I've read that a few people don't understand or find the premise of the video 'stupid' but I think it's ingenious. It's rare that a music video will feature quite strong female figures and show that out of a break-up, the ex-boyfriends have turned out worse. Obviously, the video overplays with the drama and I'm fairly sure the first guy from the video is from The Lonely Island, which makes everything even more hilarious. Watch the video below: 



I may have already mentioned how fond I am of this video, but if you've watched it then you can make your own mind up. As mentioned above, the guys are looking pretty downright sappy throughout the entire video and the expression on especially Este's face just made me laugh so much (below). 



And just incase you needed a picture of the recently dumped boyfriends all having a joint phone call therapy session together, here's one below: 



At the end of the video, the ex-boyfriends all turn out to one of Haim's shows in a last desperate attempt to salvage their relationship, but alas they soon realise that it's all over and burst into a fit of spontaneous blubbing once more. Both the track and the video have become recent favourites of mine and I usually try and stick to being unbiased about certain things, but this song has been stuck in my mind all week. I recommend you go give it a listen if you're into indie rock/pop and this sounds like your sort of thing. 

Track and music video reviewed by Mel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment