Friday 10 June 2016

The One (#3) - Kiera Cass [Review]


Book: The One (#3)
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: 6th May 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 323

Rating: 3.5/5 stars



This was a relatively enjoyable and pleasant to the series. It had the right amount of drama and character development to be satisfying, and not too shocking.

However, I would have liked to see what happened after the winner of the selection was chosen, especially with regard to implementing new laws and the rebel forces etc. I feel like this is my main gripe about the story and its conclusion. 

Saying that, I did still enjoy this book more than the second in the series (hence the half point awarded in my star rating), but there was a lot lacking in terms of undeveloped ideas that prevents me from giving this the full 4 stars. 


Firstly, although the book had far less Marlee in it than I was comfortable with (boo - so much more could have been done with her storyline and relationship with Carter, but I digress), there is a lot of development in terms of other characters. 

For one, Celeste finally got the character progression she deserved and frankly, much needed. She was an excellent stand-out character in this book, and I would have loved more from her. In addition, Aspen managed to remove himself from my list of characters I want to punch in the face, which is definitely unexpected. Thank god that ship has sailed. 


America is far more level-headed and on point in this book, and although there's some sorrow and heartbreak for her, things feel much more hopeful and I liked that. The Prince also improved in temperament too (with some faltering here and there), but there was definitely an overall leveling among many of the characters, which was much appreciated. 

However, some of the storylines which I anticipated to be BIG in this concluding novel sort of, well, fizzled out. The plot surrounding the King and his strange demeanor is never fully explained and is definitely cut off before it even begins. The rebel element is the most prominent in this book, however even in this regard, it is underdone and could definitely have benefited from more development and prominence. As mentioned, I would love to have seen more after the conclusion of the selection, and it would have been interesting to see the characters try to approach and tackle the conflict and inequality in the country. It is briefly mentioned, but no outcomes are concretely specified or explained. The books ends on a solely romantic note, and although I'm all for genuine romance, I would have enjoyed more of a focus on the dystopian aspects of the story, or at least more of a follow up addressing these elements. 


One positive is that this book is far less catty and tiresome than the second, and I would recommend finishing that so you can get on with reading and appreciating the developments in this conclusion. The girls are far more cohesive, and less competitive, and it is a much needed and welcome change. 

Overall, however, this is bound to be a warmly received conclusion for fans of the series, and makes more a relatively fun trilogy for newcomers, if you're fans of the romance genre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment