Sunday 14 February 2016

Glass Sword (Red Queen #2) - Victoria Aveyard [Review]


Book: Glass Sword (Red Queen #2)
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Published: 11th February 2016 (UK)
Publisher: Orion
Pages: 464

Rating: 4/5 stars




First things first, Red Queen was one of my favourite reads from last year, so I had pretty high hopes for the sequel, Glass Sword, and a hella lot of trepidation. Second books are often a difficult thing to get right, however I am pleased to report that Aveyard does not let up with this second addition to the 4 book series. 

Again, we are thrust back into the world of Mare, Cal, and their rag-tag band of questionable soldiers, all fighting for freedom, justice, vengeance - all that good stuff.

One thing I will say is that Mare has put up with a lot of shit. This book deals well with her transformation following the events of the first book. She has well and truly been broken and rebuilt, and if the ending is anything to go by, she is in for a lot more heartbreak. Someone cut this girl some slack. 


Maven, oh Maven. His parts of the book are truly the most sinister/creepy to read. I thought his mother was bad (yes, Elara, I'm talking about you) but oh my god, this kid needs help. For those who have a soft spot for him and Mare together, I respect you, but seriously. His and Mare's relationship (if you can call it that) is so toxic, it could dissolve metal. And that's all I'm going to say about that.


On a similar note, there is very little typical romance to speak of in this book, which works for me, however if you are into heavy romances, I would bear this in mind. Honestly, Mare's romantic prospects look so bleak, at this point I would say she is better off alone, even if she might not think so yet. Cal is there, burning away (flame on!), but he needs to get his shit together, big time. I feel for ya bro, but times are tough, you just gotta roll with the punches.


I loved some of the newer character additions, my absolute favourite being Jon, despite his albeit brief page time. I am so enthralled by his character - I mean who wouldn't be? The man is truly an enigma, and I hope we get to uncover that enigma a bit more in the third book.


This novel deals with a lot of difficult themes - there's guilt, regret, vengeance, retribution, sacrifice, and a whole boat load of murder. It can make for an intense read, and although I loved it, consider yourself warned.

The ending - OH WOW. The book starts admittedly slow - the pace meanders along leaving you with a sinking feeling and, true to form, there are a few unpredictable moments before the 'finale', which leaves you feeling like you've been punched in the face. Except now we have to wait for book 3 for the bruises to heal. It's a good ending, but I'm just not okay, OK?


Ultimately, I am intrigued to see what will come considering this is a 4 book series, and I look forward to what I'm sure will be a nail-biting, but brilliant follow-up. 






No comments:

Post a Comment