Monday 4 January 2016

Six of Crows (Crooked Kingdom #1) - Leigh Bardugo [Review]


Book: Six of Crows (Crooked Kingdom #1)
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Published: 29th September 2015
Publisher: Indigo
Pages: 495

Rating: 5/5 stars 



Six of Crows follows six dangerous outcasts as they attempt to pull of an impossible heist, but one that could reap immense rewards.

Set in the same universe as Bardugo's other trilogy Shadow and Bone (which I absolutely loved), this book follows Kaz Brekker - Ketterdam's notorious criminal prodigy - as he attempts to form a rag-tag crew, and the struggles they face along the way.

I know what you're thinking - sounds a lot like the plot to the Oceans films, yes? No. Well, you would be half right. Although yes, this book does involve a heist, and yes, the team are somewhat questionable characters, there are a whole host of differences (which I believe is a good thing). 


Now, straight off I have to say, this book is a thoroughly entertaining read, and one that offers promise for future additions to the series. So what makes it so good?

The setting of Ketterdam is lively and bustling but there is also an eery quality here - crime runs rampant and you might say that the most successful inhabitants are the criminals. Yes, even Bruce Wayne might have a hard time cleaning this place up. 


Kaz Brekker - the series' main anti-hero - is the one of the top emerging criminals in Ketterdam. He is absolutely flawless at sleight of hand tricks and makes a good living by being ruthless and looking menacing at all times. I found his character to be quite unlike anything I had ever read; his character is written to be truly multi-faceted (there are no one-dimensional characters here, folks) and I found myself shocked and intrigued about his background as the book progressed.

A special mention goes to my second-favourite character Inej, who Kaz nicknames 'The Wraith' - make of that what you will. She is a skilled climber, and all around bad-ass who has some truly memorable scenes and is one of the most enthralling characters in the book. 


The plot is fast-paced and enjoyable and there are plenty of edge-of-your-seat moments throughout. At certain points I found myself almost holding my breath and I waited to find out the fate of the characters. I think what Bardugo does so well is that she makes you care for the characters - even though these are not people who one might normally have an affinity with (thugs, murderers, crooks). The writing really plays on the suspense and the drama and this is one of the best features of the book as a whole, and makes for a truly engaging read.

Ultimately, if you've never read any of Bardugo's books before, I strongly urge you to give Six of Crows a go, as you won't be disappointed - and if you've read Shadow and Bone and are wondering whether to return to the land of the Grisha in Six of Crows - go for it - it's a no-brainer really.


No comments:

Post a Comment