Friday 22 January 2016

Angels of Moirai (Book one) - Nicole Salmond [Review]


Book: Angels of Moirai (Book one)
Author: Nicole Salmond
Published: 18th April 2015
Publisher: Victory Editing
Source: eARC provided via NetGalley
Pages: 370

Rating: 2/5 stars




Let's start off by saying that I really wanted to love this book, like really. Angels? Great. Epic love story? Sold. 
And by far my favourite parts of the book were those that focused on the mythology - the contrast between angels and demons - however, unfortunately, there wasn't enough of that in this first novel.

Firstly, when I started reading this book, I was intrigued. I liked the opening and the main character seemed interesting in her rejection of her lavish lifestyle, and her pursuit of an actual reciprocal relationship with her parents.


However, after the first chapter or so, the storyline devolved into a melodramatic high-school setting full of typical "bitchy" girls and boy-drama. Now, I know this type of plot might appeal to some, however I was hoping for more of a fantasy-heavy book, as opposed to a teen melodrama. 


Things started to heat up again when the main love interest is introduced - I mean he's an angel for god's sake (pun intended) - however, unfortunately, the spark fizzled out after a couple dozen pages. I think the main problem was that I didn't believe their romance - I couldn't understand the attraction apart from the fact that he was smoking hot? He had barely said two words and suddenly every girl in the school was swooning? Even our main gal Lila struggled to look past his pleasing aesthetic. 


The book had an intriguing opening and a suitably engaging ending however the entire middle section left me feeling underwhelmed. I found myself willing things to pick up, and apart from a few dark moments, the plot was fairly light and breezy, not the tension I was expecting. 

If the second book has more of a focus on mythology and a faster-paced plot (which I'm sure it inevitable considering that ending) then I might consider reading the next installment. 
Ultimately, if you're going into this expecting something similar to the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, you'll be disappointed. However, if you're a big fan of dreamy angels and teen romances, then this might just be the book for you, even if it's not my cup of tea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment