Monday 9 September 2013

Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball


So, just hours ago, Miley Cyrus released the official music video (scroll down to watch) for her new track 'Wrecking Ball' and let's just say I had high hopes, but if you've seen the video, there's a few issues I have with it (and they're probably not entirely the ones you'd necessarily think of). I guess to summarise, I found the whole thing unnecessary and purposely provocative for the sake of garnering attention (which, to be fair, has been working for her so far).

I feel ultimately, as if the same effect could have been achieved by not be so outlandish, when it has no real meaning beside it. I tried desperately to think of the actual meaning behind the video and I do understand (some of it) but most of it was pure shock tactics which de-valueized what was and is, a relatively good song. So, if you're wondering what I'm talking about, or you want a more in-depth analysis of the music itself, then you can watch the review for the audio of the track below:

http://scenesisters.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/miley-cyrus-wrecking-ball-official-audio.html

And now for the actual video:




So, without going into too much detail (as it's fairly obvious), the video opens with an emotional and visibly tearful Cyrus singing and facing directly into the camera. So far, fairly tame. Cyrus can be seen brandishing a sledgehammer before a wrecking-ball comes in and does the work for her. Before we know it, Miley has climbed aboard the wrecking-ball (safety first) and is swinging back and forth, whilst wearing a white ensemble. And then things get weird. Quicker than we can blink, Cyrus has licked the sledgehammer (all I could think of when watching was whether it was hygienic or not) and then suddenly see is completely nude on the wrecking-ball. Again, is this hygienic? 



Because the ball looks pretty dirty (no puns intended). I'm sure this will no doubt shock some people but I have a feeling that may be the desired effect. It's a bit 'out-there' to say the least, and I refer back to my former points about it being fairly unnecessary and just maybe a bit too blunt. I get the fact that it's meant to show a vulnerable side to Cyrus and the idea of nudity can be referred to a state of vulnerability and the whole emphasise on walls and wrecking-balls as a destructive force, much like Cyrus herself. So, what are your thoughts and opinions on the video?

Reviewed by Mel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment